Research Theme-4 (Output-4)
Development of sustainable land management by reforestation of palm plantations
In order to discuss the sustainability of the palm industry when OPT high value-added technology is socially implemented, the following three items are aimed at.
- Development of analytical framework:
To identify and quantitatively evaluate the impacts of each of the economy, society, and the environment, and develop an analytical framework that can comprehensively evaluate them.
- Sustainability empirical analysis:
Conducting a sustainability assessment using specific Malaysian data.
- Policy analysis / evaluation:
Consider policy measures to increase the sustainability of the entire palm industry with OPT high value-added technology implemented.
As an implementation method, the following differences in life cycle environmental load are calculated.
- When palm biomass is not actively recycled (baseline scenario)
- When actively recycling palm biomass A [When recycling palm kernel shell (PKS), palm empty fruit bunches (EFB), oil palm trunk (OPT), and oil palm frond (OPF) individually],
- When actively recycling B [When all are consistently recycled by the integrated process]
Scope setting for LCA (life cycle assessment) model